Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Spanish Rice

Now for the Spanish Rice I have made for 40 years.  I don't even have to consult the recipe for this one!!  Let me say that I don't skimp when I buy rice.  Cheap rice just doesn't cut the mustard for me.  Mahatma long grain is what i normally buy, but if you can get your hands on some Basmati rice, go for it!  I think I have seen it at Walmart,but not sure.  I buy it at Sam's, and it comes in a BIG bag, not sure how many pounds.  I split it with friends it is such a big bag.  Worth it, I tell you!   It is aromatic and cooks with the biggest, fluffy grains.   Always remember that you cook regular  rice in a 2 to 1 ratio--2 parts liquid, 1 part rice.  Don't stir rice while it is cooking, and leave the lid on to keep the steam in and it's hard to go wrong .  One cup of raw rice will equal 3 cups cooked rice.   Now for the recipe:

1 cup long grain rice
2 tablespoons oil (olive oil is what I usually use)
1 small onion, chopped
2 tablespoons bell pepper, chopped
1 toe of garlic , chopped or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups chicken broth or beef broth
dash red pepper
salt to taste
1 teaspoon cumin

Rinse the rice in a collander.  Now, if you are in your twenties and are reading this, you probably call this a strainer, but it is a collander.  I have a small plastic one I got at the dollar store that has smallish holes in it.  Do this washing of the rice gently, because you don't want your rice washing down the sink! A strainer has wire mesh.  Certainly, if you have one of these, use it because the rice really would not wash out of it.  I just don't have one, and you might not either. This step removes some of the starch and just works nicely in this recipe.  Let the rice drain while you chop your vegetables.  Heat the oil in pan with a tight fitting lid that will accomodate about 3 quarts.  I acutally use an electric skillet when I make this.  Mine has a non-stick surface and works really well for this.   Put your drained rice, chopped onion and peppers in the hot oil  and stir until the rice begins to turn a pale golden color and the vegetables begin to soften--just takes a couple of mintues.  Add all the other ingredients and bring to a boil.  Now, turn the heat down to a low simmer, put on your tight fitting lid, and leave it alone for about 20 minutes.  At the end of this time, you should have delicious Spanish rice to go with your enchiladas!  Note that this recipe has a little more liquid that the 2 to 1 ratio.  This makes for a very moist dish.  I sometimes use canned chopped tomatoes or salsa in place of the tomato sauce.  Make this your own recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment