Sunday, January 22, 2012

Mrs. Pickle's Marinara and notes on pretzel dough

Now for the all important Mrs. Pickle's Marinara!   I do intend to site my sources for the recipes I add if I can remember.  The Pretzel recipe is a version of one I found long ago in a food lab manual.  It, of course, was tweaked to fit my food lab situation.  A few notes on the pretzel dough is in order.  You can refrigerate this dough and bake them the next day, if desired.  Allow it to come up to room temp and it will work much better than cold dough, however. You could probably freeze this dough for later use, but I never have.  This is a great recipe to get children involved.  They can knead the dough, and they absolutely love shaping pretzels.  Let then shape their names in pretzel dough.  Now, for the Marinara.  As the name would suggest, this is one that I made up.  We were tired of eating the pretzels with mustard!

2  small cans (8 oz. each can)  tomato sauce
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 teaspoons sugar
dash garlic powder
dash pepper
salt to taste
1 teaspoon Italian seasonings

Mix all in a small saucepan.  Simmer for a few minutes and enjoy.  Olive oil is the SECRET to the success of this concoction.  It will not taste like mine if you substitute.  All the other seasonings can be adjusted to your particular taste, more of this, less of that.   This is also the sauce we used on our pizzas.  Pizza dough recipe soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment